I am delighted to share that I will be one of the speakers at International DB2 Users Group (IDUG) in Philadelphia, PA. This is going to be my 2nd IDUG and I am eagerly looking forward to not only share an important and challenging topic but also to meet and learn from DB2 gurus like Scott Hayes, Ember Crooks, Mike Krafick and many more.
What is IDUG?
IDUG is a 5-day technical conference hosted by DB2 user groups. This year the conference is the week of May 4-8. It attracts attendance from multiple countries. In 2014, which was my first-ever IDUG, I remember meeting attendees from New Zealand, Australia, England, Germany and from other countries. If you are looking to learn about DB2, there is no better place than this conference. I would highly recommend you checking out this conference. Details are at: http://www.idug.org.
IBM Champion and Gold Consultant Ember Crooks did a fantastic job in her blog post in which she shared her opinions and tips for first-time conference attendees along with her recommendations on can’t-miss sessions.
The title of my talk is: “DB2 DPF: What a single partitioned DBA needs to know in 10 points“. It is from 2 to 3 PM on 4th May (Monday) in Jefferson/Ross room. If you are a DB2 (Distributed) DBA in a single-partitioned environment and looking to learn about DPF or about to start working in DPF environments, my goal is to help you to learn the top most important points in managing a DPF (Distributed Partitioning Facility) database. Focus is going to be on covering multiple topics rather than going deep in 1 or 2 of them. I hope I can see you there. I am glad that, this year, my talk is on the first day (May 4th) of the conference. That way, after my talk, I can focus on learning during the rest of the conference.
Below are sessions that I plan to attend in date/time order.
May 04, 2015 (Monday):
- Keynote 1 – Big Data, Analytics and the Future of Data Management – 8 AM – 10 AM – Tim Vincent, Namik Hrle
- Spotlight 2 – Forces Driving the Data Services Transformation – 10:15 AM – 11:45 AM – Leon Katsnelson
- C01 – Going BLU: How to Convert Existing Databases & Tables to BLU Acceleration – Matthias Nicola and Naresh Chainani
- C02 – DB2 DPF: What a single partitioned DBA needs to know in 10 points – 02:00 PM – 03:00 PM – Pavan Kristipati
- C03 – DB2 Cancun: A Technical Overview — 03:15 PM – 04:15 PM — Matt Huras
- D04 – More Sage Advice: Invaluable DB2 LUW Performance Insights from Around the Globe – 04:30 PM – 05:30 PM – Scott Hayes
May 05, 2015 (Tuesday):
- D05 – Performance “Worst Practices” for DB2 LUW – 08:00 AM – 09:00 AM – Steve Rees OR F05 – Do You See What I See? The Secret Powers in the DB2 Administrative Routines and Views – Steve Mazer
- D06 – Data Purge Algorithm – Efficiently Purge Terabytes of Data from the Database – Saurabh Agarawal – 09:15 AM – 10:15 AM
- F07 – Learning Netezza the DB2 way – 10:30 AM – 11:30 AM – Abhik Roy OR D07 – Top Ten DB2 Explain Tips – John Hornibrook
- Conflicted between C08 – DB2 Security: The Latest Updates From the Lab – 02:15 PM – 03:15 PM – Walid Rjaibi or D08 – DB2 10.5.0.4 Shadow Tables Best Practices – 02:15 PM – 03:15 PM – Chris Eaton
- SIG — Still conflicted between interesting options
May 06, 2015 (Wednesday):
- C10 – Mis-adventures of a DB2’s Got Talent Winner – Technical Topics – 09:15 AM – 10:15 AM – Michael Krafick
- D11 – DB2 on Cloud – The next giant leap for the DB2 practitioner !! – 10:30 AM – 11:30 AM – James Cho
- C12 – DB2 LUW Performance FAQs, volume 5 – Solving More Puzzles! – 01:00 PM – 02:00 PM – Steve Rees
- C13 – DB2 Basics: Writing SQL with Examples on DB2 10.5 System Views and Table Functions – 02:15 PM – 03:15 PM – Ember Crooks
- D14 – Project Dynamite! Live Audience Guided Demo of Database as a Service up in the Cloud – 03:30 PM – 04:30 PM – James Cho
May 07, 2015 (Thursday):
- C15 – Why the University of Toronto is feeling BLU – Faster, Smaller, and Simpler in Only a Few Hours! — 08:00 AM – 09:00 AM — Brenda Boshoff / Adam Storm
- HOL5 – OLTAP – The New Frontier of Database Workload Powered by DB2 with BLU Acceleration – 08:00 – 10:30 AM – Martin Schlegel (I will miss first 1 hour of this session as I will be in C15)
- C16 – db2batch Tips and Tricks – 09:15 AM – 10:15 AM – Paul Turpin
- C17 – Using The Multi-Temperature Data Feature with Fully Automated Storage Tiering – 01:00 PM – 02:00 PM – Roger E. Sanders
- HOL6 – Strengthen Your Database Backup and Recovery Strategy – 01:00 PM – 03:15 PM – Anson Kokkat / Bill Minor
- SIG2C – LUW Mini Panel
May 08, 2015 (Friday):
- D19 – Monitoring BLU Acceleration In Depth – 08:00 AM – 09:00 AM – David Kalmuk
- D20 – Fast Access to Hot Data – 09:15 AM – 10:15 AM – Naresh Chainani
- D21 – Getting Top Performance from DB2 pureScale – a Migration Guide – 10:30 AM – 11:30 AM – Steve Rees
I am also looking forward for happy hours throughout the week. It is going to be great networking and learning experience. If you are one of the readers, please come by and say hello. I will be delighted to meet and learn your experiences. I am pumped up about next week! yay!!