The 2016 IDUG DB2 North American Tech Conference – May 23 – 26, Austin, TX.

“It ‘s a very exciting time” — The Matrix (1999) 00:47:48

Indeed it is! The biggest conference on DB2 is right around the corner. Less than a week to be precise.

This years conference is special to me because this not only my 3rd consecutive IDUG but also my first time as an IDUG core member in Conference Planning Committee. As a core member of CPC, I participated in conference’s agenda being built, saw rooms being assigned to sessions, voted on abstracts, stayed in touch with all the speakers in my track (DB2 LUW Track – II) to get their draft and final copies uploaded and lots of other activities. I am eager to see the effort of so many people come to fruition. I now have lot of appreciation to what goes behind the scenes of a great conference with utmost quality to happen without minimum hiccups.

I am also eager to meet my DB2 friends and learn from the best DB2 minds in the industry. If you have not attended IDUG before or not sure if you want to attend this time, I would highly encourage you consider to attend this one.

This years IDUG has many interesting things going on.

• Announcement of a new DB2 LUW (11.1) version
  • Focus on Apache Spark technology and App Dev SQL
  • Education focused on DB2 in the cloud,  security, encryption, database performance and other trending topics
  • Plus much more!

We have 3 key notes in this conference.

Open for Data — Girish Venkatachaliah, Vice President of Data Gravity and Innovation at IBM Corporation. Monday 05/23 @ 8 AM.

A Perfect Storm: Challenges of the Digital Tomorrow — Jonathan Adams, Vice President of R&D, BMC Software. Monday 05/23 @ 2:45 PM to 3:30 PM.

#WINNING Every Day — Scott Hayes, Scott Hayes, President & Founder, DBI Software. Tuesday 05/24 @ 8 AM to 9 AM.

Big News – Wednesday is SPARK Day

A full day out of 4 days is dedicated to the emerging new technology Apache Spark.

Sessions focused on SPARK held on Wednesday, May 25 include:

• Clash of the Titans: Apache Spark Vs. MapReduce
  • Spark on IBM DB2
  • Spark and DB2 – A Perfect Couple
  • Spark Analytics for Database Professionals
  • SparkSQL for DB2z Scientists

Certifications

Bunch of certification exams are being offered throughout the week at this years IDUG.  Attendees may take up to two complimentary exams if a passing grade is achieved on the first exam. You must have a Pearson Vue user ID and password to take a Certification Exam. Just keep this mind so that you could plan ahead in case you are planning to take an exam.

SIGs (Special Interest Groups)

I had an opportunity to have a direct impact on this years’ SIGs. I am chairing SIGs at this years IDUG in addition to DB2 LUW Track – II and Mini Panels. Usually, SIGs (except Fun with SQL which is usually DoJo) are of panel type. There will be a new format for Apache Spark and SQL/NO-SQL SIGs at this years conference

As Spark and NO-SQL are relatively new to the technology landscape, the conference committee after discussions with IDUG in Europe decided to have couple of quick sessions (lecture style) before opening up the SIG to panel type discussion. This new format is with the intention to give background idea intro to these new technologies. I am positive this is a good idea; I am eager to learn from feedback of IDUG attendees about this new format of these two SIGs.

All SIGs are on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 (03:30 PM – 04:45 PM)

• Fun with SQL
  • Apache Spark SIG
  • Cloud SIG
  • SQL and No-SQL SIG
  • Security SIG
  • IBM® DB2® Analytics Accelerator for z/OS

Fun and Networking Events:

IDUG Kickoff Party May 22, 2016 (07:00 PM – 09:00 PM)

EXPO – Grand Opening May 23, 2016 (06:00 PM – 08:00 PM)

IDUG Call for Volunteers and VMC Meet-Up (IDUG Hub) — Tuesday, May 24 11:30am – 1:00pm

DBI/IBM Sponsored Reception — Wednesday, May 25 6:15pm – Close (The Oasis – transportation provided)

Speaker Feedback Lunch on May 25, 2016 (11:30 AM – 12:30 PM) — If you are speaker at IDUG, please join us for this time without a miss. . It was at one of these feedback lunches that someone suggested a speaker-ready room which we will have at this conference.

Educational Seminars

(Note that each seminar is an additional $75. You have to register for these before the conference)

Below are One-Day Educational Seminars offered at this years IDUG.

• DB2 10.5 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows Database Administration Upgrade Certification Exam (Exam 311) Preparation
  • DB2 11 for z/OS Database Administration Crammer Course
  • A Quick Crammer Class for the DB2 11 for z/OS System Administration Certification Test

Below are Half-Day Educational Seminars:

• Advanced and Complex SQL
  • The Best of Martin Hubel and Scott Hayes – Their Greatest Wisdoms
  • How to Perform a DB2 Security Audit
  • DB2 Advanced Programming, Automation, and Performance

Complimentary Workshops

• DB2 11 Best Practices & Transition Workshop –  May 26, 8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
  • Hands-On Introduction to Apache Spark Workshop –  May 26, 8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.

My session – Thursday (May 25th) @ 1 PM

I am eager to share an interesting topic at this years IDUG. My session is “D11 – Becoming an efficient DB2 LUW DBA by leveraging awk and sed in UNIX”. It is on Thursday May 25th @ 1 PM. In this session, I will be sharing how to use awk and sed to be an efficient DBA.!

Sessions that I would like to attend:

Some of my favorite speakers in this years IDUG that I am going to listen to are Ember Crooks, Mike Krafick, Scott Hayes, Melanie Stopfer, Abhik Roy, Saurabh Agarwal and bunch of IBMers. I will blog about the sessions that I attended once I am back from the conference.

Fun with Friends:

I am hoping I will get a chance to join my friends in “Cards Against Humanity”. CPC work could keep me busy this year. Lets see if I can join my buddies in a game or two. I get a chuckle thinking about the fun Ember, Mike, couple of others and I had last year when playing this game. If you are at IDUG for the first time, come and say hello to me. I will introduce my DB2 friends to you. I promise you will have a great time with us. 🙂

No Uber in Austin (bummer)

If you haven’t heard, there is no Uber in Austin, TX any more. I do not know what future holds for Uber in Austin, but, for now, do not count on using Uber while you are there for the conference. I am disappointed as Uber was a very convenient way to get around. Here is the story from CNN. Just sharing so that you know what the entire story was..

What next?

I will be reaching Austin on Sunday AM and leaving Thursday PM after the conference. Weather seems to be OK with rain in the forecast for most of the days next week.
I am sure I missed writing about few things that are exciting at this years IDUG. It is hard to cover so much in a single blog post. Ember Crooks (as always) did a great job of blogging about this years IDUG in her blog post.

Here is the URL: http://db2commerce.com/2016/05/12/idug-2016-north-american-technical-conference/

Between IDUGs CPC work, attending sessions and hanging out with friends, this years IDUG is going to be an exciting week! I am really looking forward to it.! See you there!!

Advertisements